I wanted this blog to be quite light hearted, not the endless outpouring of a despairing mother, so I decided not to post if there was nothing positive to say, hence I haven’t for the last few days!
So many families are going through the mill coping with very serious illnesses and I’m well aware that Alice’s eczema is not too severe a case, but it isn’t easy for any parent to see their child suffering. Intentionally withdrawing the prescribed medicine that can ease her discomfort does not sit well with my maternal instincts, so I’ll just have to keep reminding myself of the end goal. (That’s for Alice to to be eczema free in case I haven’t already mentioned!)
Her eczema has really flared up this past few days which was to be expected really coming off her hydocortisone. We’re slapping on the Aveeno cream, along with some aloe vera gel. I tried to get a calendula cream but can only find brands containing almond oil and we have been staying clear of exposing her to nut ingredients due to John’s allergies. I did find a really nice product online called Bria Organic Balm which we started to use yesterday. It’s a bit of a wonder product if the website testimonials are to be believed. Today is the first day her skin has shown signs of improvement.
Alice has had no steroid ointment on her skin since we saw Elaine, our homeopath, for the first time a week ago today. That makes me happy. Alice is coping fine so that is great. I’m also not missing the twice daily stuggle trying to contain an excitable three year old while meticulously applying 3 different types of ointment to her skin.
That’s one week down!
Just got to sit tight now and wait for signs of a reaction to the remedy over the next week or so.
Today I decided to entrust my precious daughter’s well being into the hands of a Homeopath. This is a massive step and I really hope it is the right one.
Alice has had eczema for 8 months, since around the age of two and a half. It appeared quite suddenly as a few scratch marks on her elbow creases and has gradually and steadily worsened.
At the first appointment for her condition, I mentioned to her paediatrician that we were reluctant to treat her with a steroid cream (as a result of side effects John suffers after years of prolonged use) and were considering natural routes such as homeopathy . He curtly replied that I could pursue that if I wished but she needed to be treated NOW.
Almost twice daily since that appointment, I have treated her a with mild potency Hydrocortisone ointment and on occasion with a moderate potency steriod for stubborn flare ups. This week she was prescribed a potent steroid for a patch on her wrist which has not been improving and I have been advised to put the Hydrocortisone on her eyelids, the recent problem area as her eczema continues to spread.
The consultation with Elaine lasted 90 minutes. Alice had enough quite early on, asked us to stop talking but eventually fell asleep on my shoulder allowing us to finish uninterrupted. Elaine assured me that Alice’s treatment would be successful but warned me that it might take some time and would get worse before improving. She then stunned me by saying the hardest part would be to do what she was going to ask us to do before we start Alice’s treatment – she asked that we ditch the steroid creams.
I’ve decided it’s now or never.
It took a bit to convince John who thinks we should continue with her medication until her angry bits are fully healed and and seek a skin specialist referral. He eventually opted for the path of least resistance after my accusations of deliberate obstruction and awkwardness in general.
So, with Alice now tucked up asleep sans steroid for the first night in long while, a few online purchases of aloe vera and suchlike, plus a first blog entry under my belt, I’m now turning the lights out on our first day of going natural.